Coyote Creek Sports Day 2019
It’s almost June! And that means there is so much coming up at Coyote Creek as we wind up the school year! Sports Day is coming up this Friday, June 7th. This is always an exciting time for our school community to come together in a fun, collaborative and competitive way. If you haven’t heard yet, your child will be coming home with news about which “colour” team they are on. We encourage students to come to Sports Day dressed in their team colour and ready to compete for their team. This year we have a few changes to the day, so please keep reading for information about what Sports Day will look like this year.
- BIKE PARADE – students are encouraged to decorate their “wheels” (manually powered bike, scooter, wagon) in their team colour and join the parade around the school. If possible, please drop your child’s wheels off in the gym before school under their group colour sign. The bike parade will be our first event of the day, after attendance. Students will be riding once around the school in their colour group so feel free to come out and cheer them on. All students who choose to participate MUST wear a helmet in order to participate. Wheels will be stored in the gym until the end of the school day.
- SPORTS GAMES – students will be assigned to a colour AND number group. They will participate in the game circuit on the grass field in multi-age groups ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 6. Grade 7 students will be designing and running the game stations. If parents are coming to watch, they should know their child’s colour and number in order to more easily find their child’s group.
- CONCESSION—PAC will be running a concession stand with snacks and drinks. It will be available starting at 11:00 am.
- LUNCH—students are to bring a lunch to school on Sports Day as the concession is only offering drinks, snacks and treats. Lunch will be reversed today. Students will first eat in their classrooms (unless joining their parents outside) and will then go out to play. **All students must return to class for attendance before the afternoon events.
- PRE-SCHOOL RACE—pre-school age children are encouraged to join our race after lunch. There will be prizes for all of the participants.
- AFTERNOON GAMES—Three events are planned for the afternoon. We will have a preschool race, a grade 7 relay and a parent balloon toss. Please come and join in the fun!
- FINAL COMPETITION—all students will be part of a final competition for the team to collect the most garbage from the field and school grounds. Points will be awarded based on the weight of garbage collected.
- DISMISSAL—while Sports Day is a regular-length school day, parents are welcome to sign their child out at the end of the day’s events (approximately 1:30). Otherwise, students will return to classes until regular dismissal (2:22).
- SUPPLIES—Please be sure your child is dressed for the weather: sunscreen applied, hat, jacket (if cooler) and a water bottle.
- PARKING- Parking in the neighbourhood is always a challenge. We encourage families to walk to school as it will be a particularly busy day. A reminder that the staff parking lot is only accessible to staff and the daycare buses.
- WEATHER- this event is weather dependent. Cancellation due to rain, or wet fields will mean our day is postponed until June 21st. Cancellation notification will come via our school blog at Coyotecreeklearns.com and our school website at https://www.surreyschools.ca/schools/coyotecreek by 7:00am on Friday, June 7th.
Shape of the Day:
8:20 Students drop off their wheels under their colour sign in the gym and go to class. **Reminder that students will only be allowed to participate if they are wearing a bike helmet.
8:25 Students in class for attendance
8:40 Bike Parade
9:00 Students in class organizing for morning events
9:20-30 Event rotations begin on the grass field
11:30 Students back to class for lunch (students eating first, then playing)
12:22 Attendance in class
12:45 Students to field in their colour groups for afternoon events
1:30 Clean up and return to class